PHILIPSBURG, Sint Maarten – Parliament invites the public to send in nominations for the Annual President of Parliament Award. The application can be found on the Parliament’s website. Persons have until August 13, 2021 to submit their nominations.
The website address is: www.sxmparliament.org and can be found under the public section of the site. Select the President of Parliament Award and you will be able to fill in the application form.
The purpose of the President of Parliament award is to honor and award young persons of Sint Maarten who have contributed to the community and the country positively whether it be academically, voluntary or sporting achievements.
Any citizen of Sint Maarten who believes that an individual meets the criteria can send the nomination to the Parliament of Sint Maarten.
The eligibility criteria are:
- the candidate must have the Dutch nationality and/or has been legally residing in Sint Maarten for 10-years or more consecutively, and has been registered in the Civil Registry for that period of time
- must be between the ages of 15-24 years
- has made a worthwhile contribution to the development of the community and the country
- these contributions/achievements must have taken place within the last three years
- contributions/achievements must have been made while the individual was acting as a private citizen, not as an appointed or elected government official
- and must have demonstrated a capacity for leadership and ability to motivate
An award committee consisting of three Members of Parliament reviews the nomination prior to the selection meeting and selects three nominees.
During the selection meeting, the President of Parliament selects the recipient of the award based on the recommendations of the award committee.
The award is presented yearly to the recipient during the reception ceremony at the Opening of the Parliamentary Year.
Nominations for the Annual President of Parliament Award may be submitted by any citizen of Sint Maarten who believes that the individual that he or she is nominating meets the criteria abovementioned. Nominations can be sent to via hardcopy to:
The Parliament of Sint Maarten
Attn: Annual President of Parliament Award Committee
Philipsburg, Sint Maarten or via e-mail: email@example.com