BRIDGETOWN, Barbados – The leader of the main opposition Barbados Labour Party, (BLP), Mia Mottley, Tuesday described the Freundel Stuart government as being “incompetent,” accusing it also of running the country by “stealth” and bringing the island to its knees economically and otherwise.

Mottley, piloting a motion of no confidence in the government, said that the circumstances in which Barbados has found itself cannot be borne for much longer.

“We cannot have a government by stealth, a government by rumour and a government by anonymity,” she told legislators noting that there had been a constant refrain that Barbados “was punching above its weight” with regards to its social and economic progress in years gone by, but that lately, the other islands of the Caribbean had surpassed Barbados.

“Given the government’s refusal to accept any good counsel from any and all quarters, including from within its own during the last eight years we know as do most Barbadians that the most pressing challenges facing this country extend beyond and deeper than the economic and fiscal quagmire in which we now find ourselves.”

She said Barbadians have had to watch in “total bewilderment where there has been no sense of purpose expressed by its government nr any direction shown by them.

“We should be further today, and we expected to be further today,” she said, making reference to the island’s 50th anniversary of political independence from Britain this year.

“We have to confront the truth,” she said, adding that it is not just not “our economy that is broken, it is the Barbados brand that is broken”.

Mottley told legislators that the government is “incompetent” and that there is an absence of hope and pride in Barbados today.

The opposition party leader reiterated early positions that over the last few months the country has been on auto-pilot “lurching from crisis to crisis”.

In the 2013 general election, the ruling DLP won 16 of the 30 seats in the parliament.

PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - Police officers from the islands of Saba and Sint Eustatius (KPCN) together with police officers from the KPSM are presently undergoing a rigorous three days training on Situational Oriented Policing.

This training was made possible during the discussions at the JVO (discussions between the four Justice Ministries in the Kingdom) and in collaboration between the Ministry of Safety and Justice in the Netherlands and the Minister of Justice and Chief of Police on Sint Maarten.

The training is financed by the Netherlands and with the focus on the upgrading and professionalizing of the police force of Sint Maarten and the present financial situation the force is confronted with, the Minister of Justice Edson Kirindongo immediately gave his approval for the training to be organized on Sint Maarten, allowing the members of the KPSM to take part in this training, which is definitely cost efficient. DSC00112

The training will consist of two classes of three consecutive days training starting May 9th through May 11th and May 12th through May 14th 2016. Officers from the KPCN will be assisted on their respective islands by officers from the KPSM during this period, as part of the cooperation between the two police entities.

This is training is equivalent to the Integral Profession Training which was an in-house training given to the police officers of KPSM by local police instructors and which they participated in during the month of April 2016.

Five instructors from the Police Academy in Ossendrecht in the Netherlands are on Sint Maarten giving this training.

The instructors are Sjoerd Schepers, Michiel Bitter, Alex van Andel, Chris Dudink and Willem Hamoen.

They are experienced instructors in Integral Profession Training and Mental Toughness where practical police work is concerned.

The training will consists of several topics such as; dealing with practical situations in public, around motor vehicles and closed-in areas.

After the training the instructors will then travel to Bonaire where they will also provide the officers on that island with four sessions of this three days training.


PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - Detectives from the Special Robbery Unit are presently investigating an armed robbery which took place Monday May 9th at approximately 07.30 p.m. at the Wealthy Supermarket on Well road in Cole bay.

This is when two men dressed completely in dark clothing armed with pistols stormed into the establishment and threatened to use the weapons if no cooperation was given.

The establishment was robbed of a small amount of cash.

After committing this act both suspect fled the scene on foot.

Detectives are asking anyone who may have information in connection with investigation to call 54-22222 ext 213/214.

POND ISLAND, St. Maarten  Motor car prize-winner, Ruthlyn Rimon was all smiles after hearing she was the lucky winner of a brand new Mazda Sedan2 motor car. But she saved a bigger smile for daughter, Janeczka, who picked up the keys from the TelEm Group main building Monday after mom donated the prize to her daughter and her son-in-law.

The car was the top prize in TelCell’s “I Am Carnival” promotion for Carnival 2016.

During the promotion, subscribers were asked to send an SMS message to the special number 7777 for a chance to take home the top prize.

“When our computers tallied up the number of SMS messages sent, the winning number that sent the most messages came up and that number was matched to our winner, Ruthlyn Rimon,” said campaign coordinator, Grisha Marten.

According to the lucky winner, the keys and the car goes to her daughter Janeczka Nestor Hubert-Rimon, who is pictured above, picking up “mum’s gift” along with her equally grateful husband.

Meantime, Ms. Martin has thanked everyone for participating in the SMS promotion, describing it as “fun” with a big rush of messages sent as the deadline approached on the final day of carnival.

“As well as the motor car, we also had some other fantastic prizes that made a number of other raffle winners very happy,” said Grisha.

She said TelCell customers can expect other promotions, raffles and contests throughout the year with other great prizes available to compliment more product and service specials being planned for the future.

PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - The recent fire at the French side hospital which caused four wards to be evacuated , is a validation that the French and Dutch side hospitals need to work together, and increase their level of cooperation in healthcare.

Minister of Public health, Social Development & Labor Emil Lee stated: “The recent fire at the Louis Constant Fleming Hospital in Marigot has made a number of beds unavailable. The two hospitals and Ministry of VSA met to see how SMMC can assist with patients that may be displaced due to decreased bed capacity due to the fire.

The Dutch side and French side continue to explore ways to increase their level of cooperation, and expand the population base of the two hospitals by offering complementary non-competing services to improve quality and affordability. The recent fire highlights one of the important reasons for structured cooperation; redundancy and back up emergency services” .

Important discussions about increasing cooperation also took place during a recent tour of the French side hospital, along with the head of the department of Public Health Drs. Fenna Arnell.

Some points that were discussed were the steps that need to be taken in order to increase the level of cooperation, the sharing of equipment and human resources, pilot projects on the collaboration of rental operation theatre, registration of medical specialists on French St.Maarten,and common training.

Also discussed were some areas to be looked into for future cooperation regarding the on call orthopedic service, decentralization of the emergency dispatch center (SAMU), and funding for investing in specialized clinics complementary to both sides of the island.

Page 215 of 2797

International News

Go to top